The Magic School Bus: On the Ocean Floor is the fifth book in the original book series. It released in 1992.
Ms. Frizzle's class is doing a project on the ocean and learning about the kinds of animals and plants that live there. Of course, a field trip is in her plan book. The next day, she gathers her students prepared for a day at the beach, they board the bus, and to their surprise they go on an adventurous trip to the ocean floor, while taking along a bumbling lifeguard. All listen as she informs them about the geologic strata they pass, the flora and fauna at the various depths, the unique independence of the undersea world, and how its survival depends upon humankind's actions on land. At last, they end up surfing the bus on a high wave back to the beach they had started from.
- Elements from the book's plot were reused for episodes of The Magic School Bus and The Magic School Bus Rides Again, such as "Gets Eaten", as well as many others like "Blows Its Top", "Takes a Dive", and "DA and the Deep Blue Sea".
- In the 1997 publishing, the Bus's overhead sign says GO FISH.
- This is the first book to feature Lenny the Lifeguard. He reappears in And the Climate Challenge.
- This was the first book to mention Joanna Cole's dog, Muffy.
- This book was featured as a prop in the 1994 Disney film The Santa Clause. Coincidentally, this movie was released the same year as the next book, The Magic School Bus in the Time of the Dinosaurs.
|"We need to go deeper!"|
This article, or section of the article, is a stub.
Click here to expand the stub.