Ride on the Magic School Bus is the theme song of The Magic School Bus franchise.
These are the lyrics shared by most versions of the song. For a complete listing of this and alternate versions of the song, see Ride on the Magic School Bus/Lyrics.
Cruisin' on down Main Street, you're relaxed and feeling good
Next thing that you know, you're seeing...
An octopus in our neighborhood?
Surfing on a sound wave, swinging through the stars,
Take a left at your intestine, take your second right past Mars
On the Magic School Bus, navigate a nostril
Climb on the Magic School Bus; spank a plankton, too
On our Magic School Bus, raft a river of lava
On the Magic School Bus, it's such a fine thing to do
So strap your bones right to the seat; come on in and don't be shy
Just to make your day complete, you might get baked into a pie
On the Magic School Bus
Step inside; it's a wilder ride
Come on, ride on the Magic School Bus
- Most of the original series' closed captions (VHS captioning) misspell "Friz" as "Frizz" (the double-Z spelling wouldn't become official until the episode, The Frizz Connection). In the DCMP captions, it says "Friz".
- In the Rides Again version, most of the scenes are ripped directly from "Monster Power", "The Magnetic Mambo", "Carlos Gets the Sneezes", and "The Tales Glaciers Tell".
- In the Italian dub of the original series, Allacciate le cinture! Viaggiando s'impara! , a different theme song is used. In the Italian dub of Rides Again, Ride on the Magic School Bus is translated instead.
- This is the same in the Arabic dub. It used a different theme song in the original series, and translated the English theme in Rides Again.
- Shots of the theme in the 2020-21 art style are used as the end credits in Rides Again season 3.
- A rock cover plays in the 2002-05 Region 1 DVD menus, the ending credits for "A Magic School Bus Halloween" and the Family version of the Holiday Special. A alternate rock cover plays in the ending credits for the main 26 episodes of the Rides Again series, and the menus for the 2020-21 Region 1 DVDs.
- The Bus' parachute and raft are orange in the theme song, and yellow in "Monster Power".
- In most dubs of Rides Again, the "Octopus in the neighborhood" line is sung rather than spoken. The music that it is sung in stays the same throughout each dub.
- An instrumental version of the theme (without guitar) plays in the TLC airings during the original end credits.
- On the PAL version of the song in the original series, the music is slightly louder than the voices, and there is a slight delay on both tracks.
Differences between The Magic School Bus and The Magic School Bus Rides Again
- In the original version, Wanda says "with the Friz?". In the main Rides Again opening and the ending for Season 3, Dorothy Ann instead says the line, probably due to her absence in the original "no way!"
- In the original version, the kids are saying "Yeah!". In the Rides Again version, instead of saying "Oh!".
- During the line "Navigate a nostril", Ralphie sneezes in the original version. Carlos sneezes in the Rides Again theme (probably due to them sneezing in their titular episodes).
- During the line "Surfin' on a soundwave", Liz spins a turntable in the Rides Again version, and a rock musician plays an electric guitar in the original theme.
- In the original, Wanda says "Take that!". In the Rides Again version, Jyoti says it instead.
- In the Rides Again version, the lines "Strap your bones right to the seat/come on in and don't be shy" have a alternate melody than in the original version.
- In the original, Tim's says "C'mon". In the Rides Again version, like foreign dubs of the original series which use the English theme, his line is not added in the theme.
- During the line, "You might get baked into a pie", the Bus comes out from the baker's pie in the original version, from a school secretary's pie in the Rides Again opening, and from a Walkervillian woman in her kitchen in the ending for Rides Again's Season 3.
- In the original series, a title card appears at the end of the theme song that reads the episode's title. Title cards for the episodes never appear in Rides Again. However, in the Greek dub of Rides Again, an announcer reads the episode title.
Goofs/Errors (1994 version)
- When Ms. Frizzle is driving into the ocean, the Bus' tires change colors slightly.
- When Ms. Frizzle pulls the lever in the bus, Ralphie is shown in the background.
- When the close up of the Bus is shown during the line "Next thing that you know, you'll see an octopus in the neighborhood", Ralphie is never inside. In fact, only Arnold, Phoebe, and Keesha are on the Bus, the rest of the class is not there.
- During the line "Navigate a nostril", the Bus' back wheel flickers when it is inside the nostril. This is due to the wheel is missing in a few frames, and then visible in the next.
- During the line "Surfing on a sound wave", Carlos is missing in one frame.