Liz is an anthropomorphic Jackson's chameleon with blue eyes and striped horns. She is mostly light green with a dark green belly. Her back and tail are lined with spiked protrusions. Being anthropomorphic, she has a few humanlike features, such as humanlike eyes and limbs. She, like her human friends, also wears special space suits or scuba gear.
Liz is shown to be very helpful to her human friends, and she serves as the driver of the Bus when Val Frizzle is absent. Liz really likes to transform or shrink the Bus, and she does so when she is instructed to "hit it". She understands human speech, but cannot canonically speak, instead pantomiming to communicate (as seen in "The Busasaurus"). She is very friendly, and she is shown to be great friends with anyone, natural and artificial, as seen in "Three in One" when she befriended Jyoti's robot, Naniben.
- She speaks in three of the video games, despite her inability to do so in the books and television series.
- She is the most seen pet.
- In "In a Pickle", her name is mentioned to be "The Honorable Liz Ard".
- Also in "In a Pickle", her eyes are blue.
- In "Taking Flight", "Cold Feet" and "Spins a Web", the class refers to her as a female.
- She was the main focus of the episode "Cold Feet".
- She is shown to know how to operate the bus' ignition key in "Revving Up".
- She would usually appear during the fictional call-in segment.
- She has horns, despite being a female Jackson's Chameleon, which do not have any.
- She likes to eat bugs of any kind, but when she is shrunk along with the rest of the class, she develops a fear of insects.
- She is seen in every "Producer Says" segment in the original series.
- She was the first character to appear onscreen in the series.