|"How can Ms. Frizzle be with you when she's with us in Peru right now?"|
This article is about the Cole/Degen book. You may be looking for the PC game or its remake.
In the Time of the Dinosaurs is the sixth book in the original book series. It was written by Joanna Cole and illustrated by Bruce Degen. It marks the debut of Carlos Ramon and Keesha Franklin.
Ms. Frizzle is taking her class to a dinosaur dig to look for some Maiasaura nests. But as soon as they get there, the bus turns into a time machine and transports them back to prehistoric times--when dinosaurs roamed the Earth!
- Although Carlos and Keesha were introduced in this book, it was in production at the same time as the TV series that premiered the same year the book was published.
- This is the second book to have a different book cover outlook from being republished.
- In the republished version, the Bus's overhead sign says DINO ALERT.
- In the season 1 VHS tapes, excluding the five books before this one in the funding Magic School Bus Book promo, this one was introduced as the new book being featured alongside the five in the promo.
- This book marks marks the first time Ms. Frizzle's first name (Valerie) is mentioned.
- At The Waterworks, Inside The Earth, Inside The Human Body, On The Ocean Floor, and this book are the only books that are featured in the funding Magic School Bus book promo in all three seasons on VHS (as well as the fourth season, which never received a commercial VHS release); while Lost In The Solar System was only featured on the promo for two seasons on VHS.
- Wanda gets a new outfit in this book, which carries over to the 1994 series as her regular outfit.
- In the republished version, John's camera doesn't record videocassettes. Instead, it is a digital camcorder.