|Info · Gallery · Appearances|
- "According to my research, 'metamorphic' means 'change'."
- —In The Battle for Rock Mountain
In the books
Appearance (At the Waterworks–Inside a Hurricane)
Dorothy Ann has gold blonde hair worn in two long bun pigtails held with pink-red rubberbands. She wears a yellow sweater with a pink plaid skirt. She wears white leggings and saddle shoes.
Appearance (Inside a Beehive–present)
Dorothy Ann now wears a pink short-sleeved t-shirt, but she wears the same legwear.
Storyline (book series)
Dorothy Ann has always been the class bookworm, reading books and defining big words for the kids on different field trips. She is usually did not do "reports", as her work is usually word definitions. She is one student of the main class who appears in the two TV shows, like Arnold.
Inside the Earth
The class has been given an assignment to find a rock and bring it to class the next day. Dorothy Ann found a rock, but her dog ate it, Arnold found a Styrofoam "rock", and Alex brought a chipped 7-UP bottle. But Phil found a real one.
And the Climate Challenge
After getting back from the field trip through the ozone layer, Dorothy Ann tells the class how to recycle things.
In the TV show/web series
Dorothy Ann is the class bookworm, always looking for a fact in one of her many books. She loves astronomy, and she has a telescope on the balcony outside of her bedroom. She gets a new, high-powered one in "Sees Stars". She also has an interest in physics. She tends to have an argumentative personality and has clashed with the others from time to time, most notably Wanda.
Appearance (The Magic School Bus)
Dorothy Ann has blonde hair, blue eyes, and fair skin. She wears a violet turtleneck sweater, a turquoise pleated skirt, purple ankle-length socks (white tights in some books), and maroon and white sneakers (saddle shoes in some books). Her signature colors are violet, blue, and white.
Appearance (Rides Again)
Dorothy Ann now wears her hair in a tomboyish ponytail. She wears a violet blazer that replaces her sweater. Under it is a light purple shirt, blue jeans, and orange ballet flats replace her sneakers.
For sleepwear, in "Out of This World", she wore aqua pajamas with violet slippers. But in "Sees Stars", her top pajamas have purple fringes and a pink and violet shooting star, and she also wore pink slippers.
For winter wear, she wears a green hat, her violet turtleneck, her turquoise skirt, a pink jacket, rose trousers, and violet boots.
For beach wear, she wears a one-piece violet swimsuit with a blue lining and a violet pleated skirt.
For rain wear, she wears a turquoise rain hat, a violet raincoat, and turquoise gumboots.
For formal wear, she wears a pink long-sleeved blouse, a blue sleeveless vest, a blue knee length pleated skirt, white tights, and blue shoes.
For sports wear, she wears a violet basketball jersey, turquoise and pink shorts, purple socks, and dark red sneakers.
For space wear on the International Space Station, she wears a thin jumpsuit in her signature colors.
The Magic School Bus
Dorothy Ann is introduced with the rest of the class in "Gets Lost In Space", but her researching habits are never shown until "For Lunch". Her first focused episode is "In the Haunted House" in which she's conducting the class as they perform her "Concerto for Invented Instrument". She's seen doing a chemistry experiment while the class bakes Ms. Frizzle a birthday cake in "Gets Ready, Set, Dough". Her last focused episode of the season is "Plays Ball". Excited to show off her new physics book, she's disappointed when the class only cares about the baseball game they were playing. She is even more disappointed when Ralphie leaves her book on the field, but they end up inside it, playing a friction-less baseball game.
The season opens with a Dorothy Ann-focused episode, "Blows Its Top". She and Carlos argue over discovering a new island until she loses her books to the ocean. Feeling lost and empty without them, she begs Ms. Frizzle to help her get them back, "Please, Ms. Frizzle! I'm nothing without my books! Me, books...books, me!" In "Butterfly and the Bog Beast", her mascot suggestion is a broccoli, and despite her choice of mascot, she sides with the others against Phoebe's butterfly idea. She speaks on "behalf of the court" during Ms. Frizzle's trial in "In a Pickle," and she's embarrassed by Carlos' little brother, Mikey, when he brings up a heat rash she once got in "Getting Energized". In "Out of This World", she discovers an asteroid bound for Earth, more specifically, Walkerville Elementary and she gets the class to help her destroy it.
In "Show and Tells," Dorothy Ann and Arnold are representing Walkerville in the 10th Annual International Show & Tell Competition, and after researching Arnold's rare pumice collection, she's upset that he opted to bring an artifact she knows nothing about. She fights with Carlos again in "Makes a Rainbow" over her book, (he explains it's purple while she says it's violet), and which is bad enough for Wanda to comment, "This could get ugly." She's made a rainforest investigator with Tim as her assistant in "In the Rainforest" when they try to find out why Ms. Frizzle's cocoa tree didn't yield a good harvest.
Mr. Ruhle puts Dorothy Ann in charge of taking care of his pet Rhode Island Red rooster, Giblets, in "Cracks a Yolk," but she loses him once his master is gone. She celebrates her birthday in "Sees Stars," in which the class goes on a field trip before getting together for her small party to find her a star as a gift. As she was sick, she stayed home, but Liz is with her, eating cake and looking in her new telescope. She and Wanda butt heads in "Takes a Dive" when she wants to work as partners, but Wanda wants to go solo.
The Magic School Bus Rides Again
In "Hides and Seeks", Dorothy Ann and the other kids participate in a game of Extreme Hide and Seek. But this reminds her of the previous time they played—when she lost to an unnamed girl, the unbeatable seeker. She's back for this round, and now she and a few students go to the rainforest and study camouflage while Ralphie and some others challenge the seeker using the skills they've learned from her. she is selected to tell an earth-shattering story in the Climate Challenge tie-in, The Tales Glaciers Tell, but all she's got is nothing. The class travels to the Arctic, and then back in time through the history of climate change as Dorothy Ann gathers a bunch of data. After the trip, when they reach the modern-day, her FrizPad breaks, causing her to panic. So the class grabs an ice core from a glacier so she can tell her story. In The Battle for Rock Mountain, she and Wanda both play the roles of the Tectonic Duo.
Season Two (Rides Again)
Her major focus episode in this season is Waste Not, Want Not, in which the kids go to her scientist uncle's lab's greenhouse to plant orchids for the school musical. But one thing the orchids need is fertilizer - made from feces. Actually, the Friz takes the kids to the sewers to get some, and then scoops it back to the lab. In The Frizz Connection, she, Liz, and Arnold are stranded in one-third of the Bus when it gets split into three - with a rather safety-conscious version of Ms. Frizzle. They learn about the Coriolis effect through the use of holographic books.
Dorothy Ann's parents both appear in "Going Batty" and "Rocks and Rolls", and her mother appears again in "Out of This World". She has a younger sister named Evan, who is blonde like her and their mother. Her parents also appear in a flashback in "The Tales Glaciers Tell", where they are revealed to be wonderful story tellers, and they appear in present at the presentation at the end.
Name in other languages
|Localization||Dorothy Ann's name||Origin||Notes|
|Spanish (both series)||Dorothy Ann||The names Dorothy and Ann/e||Same as original name|
|French (both series)||Anne-Sophie||The names Ann/e and Sophie/Sofia/Sophia||Similar to German, her first name is Ann. This time it is spelled with an E at the end.|
|German||Ann-Kathrin||The names Ann/e and Catherine/Katherine/Katrin/Kathrin||Similar to French, her first name is Ann. It is now spelled as in English and Spanish.|
|Arabic||TMSB: Dalia (داليا)
RA: Dorothy Ann
|Dalia probably was chosen because of it starting with a D (or in the case of the Arabic alphabet, the letter د)||Her English name is used in Rides Again.|
- Purple MSB phone
- Purple MSB laptop
- Her pigtails stay up without rubberbands. 
- An excerpt from this page is used as Dorothy Ann's biography on Qubo's Rides Again webpage.
- She knows enough about music to know how to keep time as a conductor.
- On the cover of the 2004 release of the Bugs, Bugs, Bugs! DVD and in the Rides Again series, she has blue eyes.
- She is very reliant on her books, thus referring to her as the class bookworm. In the new series, she became reliant on a Friz tablet.
- In "Meets the Rot Squad" she wanted to build an amusement park on the abandoned lot on Decatur.
- She is the only one in the original series not to tell a joke.
- Dorothy Ann has a purple tablet (as of Rides Again).
- She is highly knowledgeable in astronomy, enough to accurately track an asteroid. 
- She explains her book is "violet" as opposed to "purple". This is due to the fact that red and blue make purple and that purple is really violet streaked with red contrary to popular belief. 
- It's was implied that violet is D.A.'s favorite color.
- Despite seemingly hating baseball, she is later revealed skilled enough to hit a home run that causes the ball to rip open.
- She celebrated her birthday in "Sees Stars", and is the first student to do so, followed by Arnold's birthday episode.
- In the German dub, her name is Ann-Kathrin. This is similar to her French name.
- She is the only main kid to have kissed someone on-screen. She kissed Arnold in "Cracks a Yolk".
- Throughout the books and television series, she is often referred to by her initials (D.A.).
- Dorothy Ann is the second major character who is shown to have a sibling, the first being Carlos, and the third being Wanda.
- She and Wanda are the only female major characters that have siblings (Evan and William).
- Dorothy Ann is one of two major character with seven letters in the name, the other being Ralphie.
- Thought, Tim's full name, Timothy, is counted.
- It's been ironically known for quite sometimes over the years that fans believe that Dorothy bears a strong resemblance to Linka on the 1990s cartoon Captain Planet and the Planeteers, thus, a theory began to happen that Dorothy might have grew up to be her.
- Dorothy Ann is right handed. 
- Dorothy Ann's favorite subject is math. 
- She is one of few students to not be subjected to the "Carlos!" gag despite making at least one pun in the course of the original series, which happened in Rocks and Rolls.
- Her sole pun resulted in a high five from Carlos.
- Dorothy Ann dislikes slow Wi-Fi. 
- Dorothy Ann is the only student to have a sister rather than a brother. 
- Dorothy Ann's signature color for her field trip suits is violet.
- Fans ship her with Carlos, Arnold and Tim.
- Dorothy Ann owns a violet-colored FrizTab® computer. In Season 3 of Rides Again, it was replaced by the FrizPad.
- She's one out of the "1994-2017 eight" students that has made a pun, other than Tim, Arnold, Carlos, Ralphie, Keesha, Wanda and Phoebe. 
- She is the only student in the TV class to have blonde hair.
- In the books, Amanda Jane, Gregory, and Arnold have blond(e) hair.
- Dorothy Ann is the only student in the original series did not to have an instrument. 
- Just like Keesha, she seems to like taking selfies as she does so in Pigs in the Wind with Ms. Frizzle's brick contraption.
- Dorothy Ann is the only female student not to cry in a episode
- In the original series, she had a mild British accent, which is most noticeable in the way she pronounced "re-SEARCH" in the original series.
- Her skin tone in the original series is similar to Ralphie's, implying partial Mediterranean descent.
- Dorothy Ann's favorite flowers are Vanda orchids. 
|Dorothy Ann Hudson • Mr. Hudson • Mrs. Hudson • Evan Hudson|